It turns out that a survey has shown that over 50% of independent Ebook author aren´t making more than $500 a year.
Meanwhile, another 40% are making around $10,000 a year with the big sales reserved for just 10%.
Food for thought for the aspiring author. So, to get disillusioned or not? I choose not and here is why.
1. I am guessing that like so many other things in life, there are those people who just aren´t putting 100% into it. So they write the book and post it and that´s the end of the road. Their friends buy it and a few others and then they drop out. They never learn the ins and outs of the whole Ebook – AMAZON world.
2. Others who did it all, learned it all, got their marketing machine into high gear, but after a while they gave up because the effort never gave them a return.
3. Ok, let´s just come out and say there are definitely some writers in the PRO world and the INDY world that just can´t write. (No offense meant) While WRITER X may sell millions thanks to theCREDIBILITY that a contract with a big publishing house brings, (regardless of the writer´s ability with the English language – he don´t write too good) The independent has to work twice as hard to write acceptable prose and be considered a decent writer – storyteller.
(I am now on my 7th proof-read of my first book – give you some kind of idea the kind of perfection I am looking for)
4. Back to the theme of quality – If you aren´t going for perfection,WHY BOTHER? Still, there are other ways aside from doing it yourself. You can hire an editor but that costs. One way or another, you NEED TO GET IT RIGHT.
So, assuming a writer is doing all that can be done to achieve sucess and yet they still don´t sell more than $10,000 in a year – what is the problem?
THERE IS NO PROBLEM. TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN.
Of course, if you need more than that to live on and your creature comforts are more important to you than writing … well, maybe it´s just not for you.
Let me be the first to say to you what so many others will say – DROP OUT NOW – GIVE IT UP – YOU WILL NEVER MAKE ANY MONEY AT IT – BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.
For every potential writer that drops out of the race to success in the independent writer field, my chances increase and that is one more potential sale for one of my books. Remember Amanda HockingENTERED AMAZON with 17 novels already written. If you are working on your first or second book, figure you are going to be in for a long haul kind of investment before you hit the big time.
The MORAL of the story is 1. If it were going to be easy, everyone would be doing it.
2. Perseverance is the key to success.
Good Luck with that.
David Gordon Burke
Find my books here.